Thursday, July 30, 2015

Office 365 Group Calendar HooHaa

I met with a Consultant today to get some clarification on moving to Office 365. It was nice to have a consultant that actually understood the technological challenges that can come up and didnt just throw a packaged solution at us.
Through our discussion, I was able to fill in some of the blanks of what I couldnt find using my google-fu. Dang Microsoft-fu.
First of all in order to create a basic but working shared calendar quickly, without using public folders in Office 365, you have to license it as a normal user as opposed to a shared mailbox. Shared mailbox calendars can be shared but is not a viable solution for allowing others to create and edit events. I'm guessing this is Microsoft's way of pushing the use of any and all collaboration features into Sharepoint. You have a shared calendar now but apparently no shared folders.
He described it as each licensed office 365 user having a personal onedrive. If you want to use the file sharing collaboration features of onedrive you have to go to sharepoint for business collaboration and pooled resources. I did see a way to share folders using groups but it was not end user compatible : ) and I still have questions about managing permissions for shared calendars under this . I have set up a group and I navigated to it through the portal and was able to synch it to a Sharepoint\groupFolder under my local user account.
It seems like with Microsoft every time you turn a corner you are finding another upgrade. Effective business model I guess especially when you've cornered the market. To be fair he did speak to the quality of the Office 365 solution for hosting email and licensing Office.

No comments:

Post a Comment